- showing consideration for others; considerate.
- characterized by or manifesting careful thought: a thoughtful essay.
- occupied with or given to thought; contemplative; meditative; reflective: in a thoughtful mood.
- careful, heedful, or mindful: to be thoughtful of one’s safety.
- considerate in the treatment of other people
- showing careful thought
- pensive; reflective
adj.c.1200, “contemplative,” from thought + -ful. Also in Middle English, “prudent; moody, anxious.” Meaning “showing consideration for others” is from 1851 (cf. thoughtless.) Related: Thoughtfully; thoughtfulness.