- a flash of lightning with the accompanying thunder.
- an imaginary bolt or dart conceived as the material destructive agent cast to earth in a flash of lightning: the thunderbolts of Jove.
- something very destructive, terrible, severe, sudden, or startling.
- a person who acts with fury or with sudden and irresistible force.
- a flash of lightning accompanying thunder
- the imagined agency of destruction produced by a flash of lightning
- (in mythology) the destructive weapon wielded by several gods, esp the Greek god ZeusSee also Thor
- something very startling
n.mid-15c., from thunder (n.) + bolt (n.).