- in the way just indicated; in this way: Stated thus, the problem seems trivial.
- in such or the following manner; so: Thus it came to pass.
- accordingly; consequently: It is late, and thus you must go.
- to this extent or degree: thus far.
- as an example; for instance.
- in this mannerdo it thus
- to such a degreethus far and no further
- thereforeWe have failed. Thus we have to take the consequences
adv.Old English þus “in this way,” related to þæt “that” and this, but the exact connection and Proto-Germanic history are obscure. Cognate with Old Saxon and Old Frisian thus, Middle Dutch and Dutch dus. Colloquial adverb thusly first recorded 1865.