- a person who tills; farmer.
- a person or thing that tills; cultivator.
- a bar or lever fitted to the head of a rudder, for turning the rudder in steering.
- a plant shoot that springs from the root or bottom of the original stalk.
- a sapling.
verb (used without object)
- (of a plant) to put forth new shoots from the root or around the bottom of the original stalk.
- nautical a handle fixed to the top of a rudderpost to serve as a lever in steering it
- a shoot that arises from the base of the stem in grasses
- a less common name for sapling
- (intr) (of a plant) to produce tillers
n.mid-14c., “stock of a crossbow,” from Old French telier “stock of a crossbow” (c.1200), originally “weaver’s beam,” from Medieval Latin telarium, from Latin tela “web, loom,” from PIE *teks-la-, from root *teks- “to weave” (see texture). Meaning “bar to turn the rudder of a boat” first recorded 1620s.