verb (used with object), time-shared, time-shar·ing.
- to use or occupy by time-sharing.
- time-sharing(def 2).
- Computers. a system or service in which a number of users at different terminals simultaneously use a single computer for different purposes.
- Also time-share. a plan in which persons share ownership or rental costs of a vacation home, especially a condominium, entitling each participant to use the residence for a specified time each year.
- a system of part ownership of a property, such as a flat or villa, for use as a holiday home, whereby each participant buys the right to use the property for the same fixed period annually
- (as modifier)a time-sharing system
- a system by which users at different terminals of a computer can, because of its high speed, apparently communicate with it at the same timeCompare batch processing
- (as modifier)a time-sharing computer
- denoting, relating to, or forming part of time sharing of propertytime-share villas
1953, as a computing term, from time (n.) + verbal noun from share (v.). In real estate, as an arrangement in property use, it is recorded from 1976.