- existing or being such in title only; nominal; having the title but none of the associated duties, powers, etc.: the titular head of the company.
- from whom or which a title or name is taken: His titular Saint is Michael.
- of, relating to, or of the nature of a title.
- having a title, especially of rank.
- designating any of the Roman Catholic churches in Rome whose nominal incumbents are cardinals.
- a person who bears a title.
- a person from whom or thing from which a title or name is taken.
- Ecclesiastical. a person entitled to a benefice but not required to perform its duties.
- of, relating to, or of the nature of a title
- in name only
- bearing a title
- giving a title
- RC Church designating any of certain churches in Rome to whom cardinals or bishops are attached as their nominal incumbents
noun plural -lars or -laries
- the bearer of a title
- the bearer of a nominal office
adj.1590s, perhaps by influence of Middle French titulaire, from Latin titulus (see title).