- a light ax used by the North American Indians as a weapon and tool.
- any of various similar weapons or implements.
- (in Australia) a stone hatchet used by the Aborigines.
verb (used with object)
- to attack, wound, or kill with or as if with a tomahawk.
- a fighting axe, with a stone or later an iron head, used by the North American Indians
- mainly Australian the usual word for hatchet
1610s, tamahaac, from Algonquian (probably Powhatan) tamahack “what is used in cutting,” from tamaham “he cuts.” Cognate with Mohegan tummahegan, Delaware tamoihecan, Micmac tumeegun.