- a city in and the capital of Kansas, in the NE part, on the Kansas River.
- a state in the central United States: a part of the Midwest. 82,276 sq. mi. (213,094 sq. km). Capital: Topeka. Abbreviation: KS (for use with zip code), Kans., Kan., Kas.
- a river in NE Kansas, flowing E to the Missouri River. 169 miles (270 km) long.
- a city in E central Kansas, capital of the state, on the Kansas River: university (1865). Pop: 122 008 (2003 est)
- a state of the central US: consists of undulating prairie, drained chiefly by the Arkansas, Kansas, and Missouri Rivers; mainly agricultural. Capital: Topeka. Pop: 2 723 507 (2003 est). Area: 213 096 sq km (82 277 sq miles)Abbreviation: Kan, Kans, (with zip code) KS
city in Kansas, U.S.A., from Kansa (Siouan), literally “a good place to dig potatoes.”
named for the river, which is named for the native people, from French variant of Kansa, native name of the Siouan people who lived there (1722). It is a plural (see Arkansas). Established as a U.S. territory in 1854, admitted as a state 1861. Related: Kansan.