- subject to parching or burning heat, especially of the sun, as a geographical area: the torrid sands of the Sahara.
- oppressively hot, parching, or burning, as climate, weather, or air.
- ardent; passionate: a torrid love story.
- so hot and dry as to parch or scorch
- arid or parched
- highly charged emotionallya torrid love scene
1580s, in torrid zone “region of the earth between the tropics,” from Latin torrida zona, from fem. of torridus “dried with heat, scorching hot,” from torrere “to parch,” from PIE root *ters- “to dry” (see terrain). Sense of “very hot” is first attested 1610s.
- Parched with the heat of the sun.