noun, plural tra·bec·u·lae [truh–bek-yuh-lee] /trəˈbɛk yəˌli/.
- Anatomy, Botany. a structural part resembling a small beam or crossbar.
- Botany. one of the projections from the cell wall that extends across the cavity of the ducts of certain plants, or the plate of cells across the cavity of the sporangium of a moss.
noun plural -lae (-ˌliː) anatomy botany
- any of various rod-shaped structures that divide organs into separate chambers
- any of various rod-shaped cells or structures that bridge a cavity, as within the capsule of a moss or across the lumen of a cell
n. pl. tra•bec•u•lae (-lē′)
- Any of the supporting strands of connective tissue projecting into an organ and constituting part of the framework of that organ.
- Any of the fine spicules forming a network in cancellous bone.