- of the color ultramarine.
- beyond the sea.
- a blue pigment consisting of powdered lapis lazuli.
- a similar artificial blue pigment.
- any of various other pigments.
- a deep-blue color.
- a blue pigment consisting of sodium and aluminium silicates and some sodium sulphide, obtained by powdering natural lapis lazuli or made synthetically: used in paints, printing ink, plastics, etc
- a vivid blue colour
- of the colour ultramarine
- from across the seas
n.1590s, “blue pigment made from lapis lazuli,” from Medieval Latin ultramarinus, literally “beyond the sea,” from ultra- “beyond” + marinus “of the sea” (see marine). So called because the mineral was imported from Asia by sea.