- of, relating to, or characteristic of an umbilicus or umbilical cord.
- joined together by or as if by an umbilical cord; heavily dependent in a close relationship.
- adjacent to or located near the navel; central to the abdomen: the umbilical region.
- serving as or containing a conduit through which power is transferred, especially to a unit that will be or is designed to be ultimately self-sufficient or independent: an umbilical cable for launching a rocket; an umbilical plug for starting jet engines.
- umbilical cord.
- of, relating to, or resembling the umbilicus or the umbilical cord
- in the region of the umbilicusan umbilical hernia
- short for umbilical cord
adj.“pertaining to the navel,” 1540s, from Medieval Latin umbilicalis “of the navel,” from Latin umbilicus “navel” (see umbilicus). Umbilical cord attested by 1753 (the native term is navel string). adj.
- Of or relating to the navel.
- Relating to the umbilical region of the abdomen.