- having a pattern of squares; checkered(def 3): a checked shirt.
- Phonetics. (of a vowel) situated in a closed syllable (opposed to freedef 28).
- not prevented from continuing or growingunchecked population growth
- not examined or inspected
- without being stopped or hinderedthe virus could spread unchecked
- without being examined or inspectedour luggage passed unchecked through customs
- having a pattern of small squares
- phonetics (of a syllable) ending in a consonant
adj.late 15c., from un- (1) “not” + past participle of check (v.). adj.early 15c., “ornamented with a checkered design,” past participle adjective from check (v.2).