adjective, cost·li·er, cost·li·est.
- costing much; expensive; high in price: a costly emerald bracelet; costly medical care.
- resulting in great expense: The upkeep of such a large house is costly.
- resulting in great detriment: It was a costly mistake because no one ever trusted him again.
- of great value; very valuable; sumptuous.
- lavish; extravagant.
adjective -lier or -liest
- of great price or value; expensive
- entailing great loss or sacrificea costly victory
- splendid; lavish
adj.late 14c., from cost + -ly (1). Earlier formation with the same sense were costful (mid-13c.), costious (mid-14c.).