verb (used with object)
- to lay bare; disclose; reveal.
- to remove the cover or covering from.
- to remove a hat from (the head).
verb (used without object)
- to remove a cover or covering.
- to take off one’s hat or other head covering as a gesture of respect.
- (tr) to remove the cover, cap, top, etc, from
- (tr) to reveal or discloseto uncover a plot
- to take off (one’s head covering), esp as a mark of respect
v.c.1300, from un- (2) “reverse of” + cover (v.). Earliest use is figurative; literal sense is attested from late 14c. Related: Uncovered; uncovering.