- clearly defined or determined; not vague or general; fixed; precise; exact: a definite quantity; definite directions.
- having fixed limits; bounded with precision: a definite area.
- positive; certain; sure: It is definite that he will take the job.
- defining; limiting.
- Botany. (of an inflorescence) determinate.
- clearly defined; exact; explicit
- having precise limits or boundaries
- known for certain; sureit is definite that they have won
- denoting a type of growth in which the main stem ends in a flower, as in a cymose inflorescence; determinate
- (esp of flower parts) limited or fixed in number in a given species
adj.1550s, from Latin definitus “defined, bounded, limited,” past participle of definire (see define). Definite means “defined, clear, precise, unmistakable;” definitive means “having the character of finality.”