verb (used with object), un·der·pinned, un·der·pin·ning.
- to prop up or support from below; strengthen, as by reinforcing a foundation.
- to replace or strengthen the foundation of (a building or the like).
- to furnish a foundation for; corroborate: The author’s conclusions are underpinned by references to experimental findings.
verb -pins, -pinning or -pinned (tr)
- to support from beneath, esp by a prop, while avoiding damaging or weakening the superstructureto underpin a wall
- to give corroboration, strength, or support to
v.1520s (figurative); 1530s (literal), from under + pin (v.). Related: Underpinned; underpinning.