verb (used with object), spec·i·fied, spec·i·fy·ing.
- to mention or name specifically or definitely; state in detail: He did not specify the amount needed.
- to give a specific character to.
- to set forth as a specification.
- to name or state as a condition: He specified that he be given my power of attorney.
verb (used without object), spec·i·fied, spec·i·fy·ing.
- to make a specific mention or statement.
verb -fies, -fying or -fied (tr; may take a clause as object)
- to refer to or state specifically
- to state as a condition
- to state or include in the specification of
v.c.1300, from Old French specifier (13c.), from Late Latin specificare “mention particularly,” from specifus (see specific). Related: Specified; specifying.