- a place of residence; abode; house or home.
- Law. a permanent legal residence.
verb (used with object), dom·i·ciled, dom·i·cil·ing.
- to establish in a domicile.
- a dwelling place
- a permanent legal residence
- British commerce the place where a bill of exchange is to be paid
verb Also: domiciliate (ˌdɒmɪˈsɪlɪˌeɪt)
- to establish or be established in a dwelling place
n.mid-15c., from Middle French domicile (14c.), from Latin domicilium, perhaps from domus “house” (see domestic) + colere “to dwell” (see colony). As a verb, it is first attested 1809. Related: Domiciled; domiciliary.