- not level or flat; rough; rugged: The wheels bumped and jolted over the uneven surface.
- irregular; varying; not uniform: The book is uneven in quality.
- not equitable or fair; one-sided: an uneven contest.
- not equally balanced; not symmetrical or parallel.
- (of a number) odd; not divisible into two equal integers: The numerals 3, 5, and 7 are uneven.
- (of a surface, etc) not level or flat
- spasmodic or variable
- not parallel, straight, or horizontal
- not fairly matchedan uneven race
- archaic not equal
- obsolete unjust
adj.Old English unefen “unequal,” from un- (1) “not” + even (adj.). Cf. Old Frisian oniovn, Middle Dutch oneven, Old High German uneban, German uneben, Old Norse ujafn. Meaning “irregular, broken, rugged” (in reference to terrain, etc.) is recorded from late 13c.