adjective, un·friend·li·er, un·friend·li·est.
- not amicable; not friendly or kindly in disposition; unsympathetic; aloof: an unfriendly coldness of manner.
- hostile; antagonistic: an unfriendly act of aggression.
- unfavorable; inhospitable or inimical, as an environment: an unfriendly climate for new ideas.
- in an unfriendly manner.
adjective -lier or -liest
- not friendly; hostile
- unfavourable or disagreeable
- rare in an unfriendly manner
adj.early 15c., “not characteristic of friends,” from un- (1) “not” + friendly. Cf. Middle Dutch onvriendelijc, Middle High German unvriuntlich, German unfreundlich. Meaning “hostile, inimical” is recorded from late 15c. Related: Unfriendliness.