adjective, un·hap·pi·er, un·hap·pi·est.
- sad; miserable; wretched: Why is she so unhappy?
- unfortunate; unlucky: an unhappy incident.
- unfavorable; inauspicious: an unhappy omen.
- infelicitous; unsuitable: an unhappy choice of words.
- Archaic. causing trouble; reprehensible; troublesome.
adjective -pier or -piest
- not joyful; sad or depressed
- unfortunate or wretchedan unhappy fellow
- tactless or inappropriatean unhappy remark
- archaic unfavourable
adv.early 14c., from un- (2) + happily (see happy). Cf. Old Norse unheppiliga. adj.c.1300, “causing misfortune or trouble (to oneself or others),” from un- (1) “not” + happy. Meaning “unfortunate, unlucky” is recorded from late 14c.; sense of “miserable, wretched” is recorded from late 14c. (originally via misfortune or mishap).