- Physics. of equal physical properties along all axes.Compare anisotropic(def 1).
- Zoology. lacking axes that are predetermined, as in some eggs.
- having uniform physical properties in all directions
- biology not having predetermined axesisotropic eggs
adj.1864, from iso- + Greek tropikos “belonging to a turning,” from tropos “a turning, way, manner” (see trope). adj.
- Identical in all directions.
- Identical in all directions; invariant with respect to direction. For example, isotropic scattering of light by a substance entails that the intensity of light radiated is the same in all directions. Compare anisotropic.