- not limber; inflexible; stiff.
verb (used with or without object)
verb (used with object)
- to detach (a gun) from its limber or prime mover.
- to make ready for use or action.
verb (used without object)
- to prepare for action.
- the act of changing a gun from traveling to firing position.
- (tr) to disengage (a gun) from its limber
- to prepare (something) for use
v.1802, “to free (a gun) from its limber,” usually for the purpose of bringing it into action, from un- (2) + limber (n.). Figurative sense is attested from 1864. Related: Unlimbered; unlimbering.