- able to read and write.
- having or showing knowledge of literature, writing, etc.; literary; well-read.
- characterized by skill, lucidity, polish, or the like: His writing is literate but cold and clinical.
- having knowledge or skill in a specified field: Is she computer literate? The boss needs a computer‐literate assistant.
- having an education; educated.
- a person who can read and write.
- a learned person.
- able to read and write
- educated; learned
- used to words rather than numbers as a means of expressionCompare numerate
- a literate person
adj.“educated, instructed,” early 15c., from Latin literatus/litteratus “educated, learned,” literally “one who knows the letters,” formed in imitation of Greek grammatikos from Latin littera/litera “letter” (see letter (n.1)).