verb (used with object)
- to undo the lock of (a door, chest, etc.), especially with a key.
- to open or release by or as if by undoing a lock.
- to open (anything firmly closed or joined): to unlock the jaws.
- to lay open; disclose: to unlock the secrets of one’s heart.
verb (used without object)
- to become unlocked.
- (tr) to unfasten (a lock, door, etc)
- (tr) to open, release, or let loose
- (tr) to disclose or provide the key tounlock a puzzle
- (intr) to become unlocked
v.c.1400, from un- (2) + lock (v.). Figurative sense is attested from 1530s. Related: Unlocked; unlocking.