verb (used with object), nor·mal·ized, nor·mal·iz·ing.
- to make normal.
- to establish or resume (relations) in a normal manner, as between countries.
- Metallurgy. to heat (a steel alloy) to a suitable temperature above the transformation range and then to cool in still air at ambient temperature.
verb (used without object), nor·mal·ized, nor·mal·iz·ing.
- to become normal; resume a normal state: Prices soon normalized after the war.
- to bring or make into the normal state
- to bring into conformity with a standard
- to heat (steel) above a critical temperature and allow it to cool in air to relieve internal stresses; anneal
v.1865, from normal + -ize. Related: Normalized; normalizing.