verb (used with object)
- to block or close up with an obstacle; make difficult to pass: Debris obstructed the road.
- to interrupt, hinder, or oppose the passage, progress, course, etc., of.
- to block from sight; to be in the way of (a view, passage, etc.).
- (of a passageway, view, etc) not blocked by any object
- to block (a road, passageway, etc) with an obstacle
- to make (progress or activity) difficult
- to impede or block a clear view of
adj.1650s, from un- (1) “not” + past participle of obstruct. v.1610s, a back-formation from obstruction or else from Latin obstructus, past participle of obstruere “to block, to stop up” (see obstruction). Related: Obstructed; obstructing. v.
- To block or close a body passage so as to hinder or interrupt a flow.