verb (used with object)
- to undo or remove the contents from (a box, trunk, etc.).
- to remove (something) from a container, suitcase, etc.
- to unburden, as the mind; reveal.
- to decipher or discern (the meaning of symbols, statements, etc.): Each statement could be unpacked in the general theory.
- to remove a pack or load from (a horse, vehicle, etc.).
verb (used without object)
- to remove the contents of a container.
- to remove the packed contents of (a case, trunk, etc)
- (tr) to take (something) out of a packed container
- (tr) to remove a pack from; unloadto unpack a mule
- (tr) to explain (a question, issue, etc) by analysing its component parts
v.late 15c., from un- (2) + pack (v.). Cf. Dutch ontpakken. Related: Unpacked; unpacking.