- to be paid; due: a loan payable in 30 days.
- capable of being or liable to be paid.
- Law. imposing an immediate obligation on the debtor.
- an amount, bill, etc., that is to be paid.
- payables, the accounts payable of a business: Payables are now handled by our computer.
- (often foll by on) to be paidpayable on the third of each month
- that is capable of being paid
- capable of being profitable
- (of a debt) imposing an obligation on the debtor to pay, esp at once
adj.late 14c., “to be paid,” from pay (v.) + -able or from Old French paiable.