- having a valid or just claim, as to some property or position; legitimate: the rightful owner of the farm.
- belonging or held by a valid or just claim: one’s rightful property.
- equitable or just, as actions or a cause.
- proper; appropriate; fitting.
- in accordance with what is right; proper or just
- (prenominal) having a legally or morally just claimthe rightful owner
- (prenominal) held by virtue of a legal or just claimmy rightful property
adj.Old English rihtful; see right (adj.1) + -ful. Related: Rightfully; rightfulness.