verb (used with object)
- to draw or loosen a screw from (a hinge, bracket, etc.).
- to unfasten or withdraw by turning, as a screw or lid.
- to open (a jar, bottle, etc.) by turning the lid or cover.
verb (used without object)
- to permit of being unscrewed.
- (tr) to draw or remove a screw from (an object)
- (tr) to loosen (a screw, lid, etc) by rotating continuously, usually in an anticlockwise direction
- (intr) (esp of an engaged threaded part) to become loosened or separatedthe lid wouldn’t unscrew