- not secured, especially not insured against loss, as by a bond or pledge: an unsecured loan.
- not made secure, as a door or lock of hair; unfastened.
- not protected against tapping or interception, as a telephone line or radio communication.
- (of a loan, etc) secured only against general assets and not against a specific asset
- (of a creditor) having no security against a specific asset and with a claim inferior to those of secure creditors
- not made secure; loose
adj.1780, from un- (1) “not” + past participle of secure (v.).