- of or relating to tactics, especially military or naval tactics.
- characterized by skillful tactics or adroit maneuvering or procedure: tactical movements.
- of or relating to a maneuver or plan of action designed as an expedient toward gaining a desired end or temporary advantage.
- expedient; calculated.
- prudent; politic.
- of, relating to, or employing tacticsa tactical error
- (of weapons, attacks, etc) used in or supporting limited military operationsa tactical missile; tactical bombing
- skilful or diplomatica tactical manoeuvre
adj.1560s, from Modern Latin tactica (see tactics); in reference to nuclear weapons (opposed to strategic) it is recorded from 1957. Related: Tactically.