verb (used with object), un·tied, un·ty·ing.
- to loose or unfasten (anything tied); let or set loose by undoing a knot.
- to undo the string or cords of.
- to undo, as a cord or a knot; unknot.
- to free from restraint.
- to resolve, as perplexities.
verb (used without object), un·tied, un·ty·ing.
- to become untied.
verb -ties, -tying or -tied
- to unfasten or free (a knot or something that is tied) or (of a knot or something that is tied) to become unfastened
- (tr) to free from constraint or restriction
v.Old English untiegan, from un- (2) + tie (v.). Related: Untied; untying.