- being of use or service; serving some purpose; advantageous, helpful, or of good effect: a useful member of society.
- of practical use, as for doing work; producing material results; supplying common needs: the useful arts; useful work.
- able to be used advantageously, beneficially, or for several purposes; helpful or serviceable
- informal commendable or capablea useful term’s work
- Australian informal an odd-jobman or general factotum
adj.1590s, from use (n.) + -full. Related: Usefully; usefulness.