- an act of casting upward.
- the state of being cast upward.
- something that is cast or thrown up, as soil or earth in digging.
- a shaft or passage up which air passes, as from a mine (opposed to downcast).
- cast up; directed or thrown upward: The child looked at her father with upcast eyes.
verb (used with object), up·cast, up·cast·ing.
- to cast up or upward.
- material cast or thrown up
- a ventilation shaft through which air leaves a mineCompare downcast (def. 3)
- geology (in a fault) the section of strata that has been displaced upwards
- directed or thrown upwards
verb -casts, -casting or -cast
- (tr) to throw or cast up