verb (used with object), up·dat·ed, up·dat·ing.
- to bring (a book, figures, or the like) up to date as by adding new information or making corrections: to update a science textbook.
- Computers. to incorporate new or more accurate information in (a database, program, procedure, etc.).
- to bring (a person, organization, etc.) up to date on a particular subject: The magazine article will update you on the international situation.
- an act or instance of updating: to make an update in a financial ledger.
- information or data used in updating.
- an updated version, model, or the like.
verb (ʌpˈdeɪt) (tr)
- to bring up to date
- the act of updating or something that is updated
v.1948, in reference to information, 1952 in reference to persons, from up + date (v.1). Related: Updated; updating. The noun is attested from 1967.