- up or as if up the slope of a hill or other incline; upward: The soldiers marched uphill. Water does not run uphill without assistance.
- going or tending upward on or as if on a hill: an uphill road.
- at a high place or point: an uphill village.
- laboriously fatiguing or difficult: an uphill struggle to become wealthy.
- a rising terrain; ascent.
- inclining, sloping, or leading upwards
- requiring arduous and protracted effortan uphill task
- up an incline or slope; upwards
- against difficulties
- a rising incline; ascent
adj.1610s, from up + hill.