- a large container, as a tub or tank, used for storing or holding liquids: a wine vat.
- a preparation containing an insoluble dye converted by reduction into a soluble leuco base.
- a vessel containing such a preparation.
verb (used with object), vat·ted, vat·ting.
- to put into or treat in a vat.
- a large container for holding or storing liquids
- chem a preparation of reduced vat dye
verb vats, vatting or vatted
- (tr) to place, store, or treat in a vat
abbreviation for (in Britain)
- value-added tax: a tax levied on the difference between the cost of materials and the selling price of a commodity or service
early 13c., southern variant (see V) of Old English fæt “container, vat,” from Proto-Germanic *fatan (cf. Old Saxon, Old Norse fat, Old Frisian fet, Middle Dutch, Dutch vat, Old High German faz, German faß).