- praised boastfully or excessively: the vaunted beauties of Paris.
verb (used with object)
- to speak vaingloriously of; boast of: to vaunt one’s achievements.
verb (used without object)
- to speak boastfully; brag.
- a boastful action or utterance.
- (tr) to describe, praise, or display (one’s success, possessions, etc) boastfully
- (intr) rare, or literary to use boastful language; brag
- a boast
- archaic ostentatious display
c.1400, “speak vainly or proudly,” from Middle French vanter “to praise, speak highly of,” from Late Latin vanitare “to boast,” frequentative of Latin vanare “to utter empty words,” from vanus “idle, empty” (see vain). Related: Vaunted; vaunting.