- the act of venerating.
- the state of being venerated.
- the feeling of a person who venerates; a feeling of awe, respect, etc.; reverence: They were filled with veneration for their priests.
- an expression of this feeling: A memorial was erected in veneration of the dead of both world wars.
- a feeling or expression of awe or reverence
- the act of venerating or the state of being venerated
early 15c., from Middle French veneration, from Latin venerationem (nominative veneratio) “reverence,” from past participle stem of venerari “to worship, revere,” from venus (genitive veneris) “beauty, love, desire” (see Venus).