- of or relating to spring: vernal sunshine.
- appearing or occurring in spring: vernal migratory movements.
- appropriate to or suggesting spring; springlike: vernal greenery.
- belonging to or characteristic of youth: vernal longings.
- of or occurring in spring
- poetic of or characteristic of youth; fresh
“pertaining to spring,” 1530s, from Latin vernalis “of the spring,” from vernus “of spring,” from ver “spring,” from PIE *wesr- “spring” (cf. Old Norse var “spring,” Greek ear, Sanskrit vasantah, Persian bahar, Old Church Slavonic vesna “spring,” Lithuanian vasara “summer”).