- moving to and fro rapidly; vibrating.
- vibrating so as to produce sound, as a string.
- (of sounds) characterized by perceptible vibration; resonant; resounding.
- pulsating with vigor and energy: the vibrant life of a large city.
- vigorous; energetic; vital: a vibrant personality.
- exciting; stimulating; lively: vibrant colors; a vibrant performance.
- Phonetics. made with tonal vibration of the vocal cords; voiced.
- Phonetics. a vibrant sound.
- characterized by or exhibiting vibration; pulsating or trembling
- giving an impression of vigour and activity
- caused by vibration; resonant
- (of colour) strong and vivid
- phonetics trilled or rolled
- a vibrant speech sound, such as a trilled (r)
1550s, “agitated,” from Latin vibrantem (nominative vibrans) “swaying,” present participle of vibrare “move to and fro” (see vibrate). Meaning “vigorous, full of life” is first recorded 1860. Related: Vibrantly.