- a change or variation occurring in the course of something.
- interchange or alternation, as of states or things.
- vicissitudes, successive, alternating, or changing phases or conditions, as of life or fortune; ups and downs: They remained friends through the vicissitudes of 40 years.
- regular change or succession of one state or thing to another.
- change; mutation; mutability.
- variation or mutability in nature or life, esp successive alternation from one condition or thing to another
- a variation in circumstance, fortune, character, etc
1560s, from Middle French vicissitude (14c.), from Latin vicissitudinem (nominative vicissitudo) “change,” from vicissim “changeably, in turn,” from vicis “a turn, change” (see vicarious). Related: Vicissitudes.