- Also called vedette boat. a small naval launch used for scouting.
- a mounted sentry in advance of the outposts of an army.
- a variant spelling of vedette
- Also called: vedette boat navy a small patrol vessel
- Also called: vidette military a mounted sentry posted forward of a formation’s position
1680s, from French vidette, from Italian (Florentine) vedetta “watch tower, peep hole,” from vedere “to see” (see vista).
“mounted sentinel placed in advance of an outpost,” 1680s, from French vedette, from Italian vedetta, probably from vedere “to see” (see vista).