- of, pertaining to, characteristic of, or befitting a man; masculine; manly: virile strength.
- having or exhibiting masculine energy, forcefulness, or strength in a marked degree.
- characterized by a vigorous, masculine spirit: a virile literary style.
- of, relating to, or capable of procreation.
- of, relating to, or having the characteristics of an adult male
- (of a male) possessing high sexual drive and capacity for sexual intercourse
- of or capable of copulation or procreation
- strong, forceful, or vigorous
late 15c., from Old French viril, from Latin virilis “of a man, manly,” from vir “a man, a hero,” from PIE *uiHro “freeman” (cf. Sanskrit virah, Avestan vira-, Lithuanian vyras, Lithuanian vyras, Old Irish fer, Welsh gwr, Gothic wair, Old English wer “man”). Virile member for “penis” is recorded from 1540s.
- Of, relating to, or having the characteristics of an adult male, especially the ability to perform sexually as a male.
- Having or showing masculine spirit, strength, vigor, or power.
- Sexually potent.