verb (used with object), viv·i·fied, viv·i·fy·ing.
- to give life to; animate; quicken.
- to enliven; brighten; sharpen.
verb -fies, -fying or -fied (tr)
- to bring to life; animate
- to make more vivid or striking
1590s, from Old French vivifier (12c.), from Late Latin vivificare “make alive, restore to life,” from vivificus “enlivening,” from Latin vivus “alive” (see vivid) + root of facere “to make” (see factitious). Vivificate in same sense is recorded from early 15c.
- The process of converting protein from food into the living matter of the cells.