- a device in certain types of telecommunications equipment, as telephone answering machines, that converts an incoming voice or sound signal into an electrical signal that turns on a transmitter or recorder that continues to operate as long as the incoming signal is maintained.
- a voice and nothing more.
- the voice of the people; popular opinion.Abbreviationvox pop.
- the voice of the people (is) the voice of God.
noun plural voces (ˈvəʊsiːz)
- a voice or sound
- the voice of the people; popular or public opinion
Latin, literally “voice” (see voice (n.)).
1540s, Latin, literally “voice of the people.” The full maxim (first attested in Medieval Latin) is vox populi, vox Dei “the voice of the people is the voice of God.” Short form vox pop attested by 1964.