- authorization, sanction, or justification.
- something that serves to give reliable or formal assurance of something; guarantee, pledge, or security.
- something considered as having the force of a guarantee or as being positive assurance of a thing: The cavalry and artillery were considered sure warrants of success.
- a writing or document certifying or authorizing something, as a receipt, license, or commission.
- Law. an instrument, issued by a magistrate, authorizing an officer to make an arrest, seize property, make a search, or carry a judgment into execution.
- the certificate of authority or appointment issued to an officer of the armed forces below the rank of a commissioned officer.
- a warehouse receipt.
- a written authorization for the payment or receipt of money: a treasury warrant.